• Portable Fire Extinguishers Save the Day –Twice!

    News (Temple, TX)

    February 2, 2016


    Two fires were put out by portable extinguishers within the span of three days in Temple, Texas. Both fires warranted calls to the local fire department, but when fire officials arrived, the fire had already been taken care of by citizens thanks to the use of portable fire extinguishers. Both fires were caused by cooking equipment, either left unattended or caused by human error. The first fire was put out by a staff member at a local assisted living facility, while the other fire was put out by the home resident. Temple Fire & Rescue spokesman, Thomas Pechal, had this to say, “A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fore or containing it until the fire department arrives...” He went on to say, “When using a portable fire extinguisher, make sure everyone has evacuated the building and the fire department has been called or is being called. If the room fills with smoke, leave immediately and go to the meeting place"1.

    Source: 1 McKeon, Deborah. "Extinguishers Stop 2 Blazes." Temple Daily Telegram. Temple Daily Telegram, 2 Feb. 2016. Web. 10 Feb. 2016.